Tuesday 24 January 2012

A late night and sitting in the new gym (mostly alone)




Gaz arrived at about 1.15 am, after realising he wasn't flying into Gatwick at all, but Stanstead instead (bit of a rhyme going on there). He only noticed at the airport. The one he was flying from that is .... would have been funnier if it was the other way.
So after letting him into the flat and getting back to sleep, it ended up being a fitful night. I still decided to run this morning. The aim was a 5k with a slow warm up for the first lap of the park and then a quicker second lap, with a 500m cool down. The first lap went well and I kept to the slow pace. The second was going well, I was keeping to a medium quick pace, until I heard the foot falls of another runner behind me and they were getting nearer and quicker. Obviously, I ran my own race let the person pass and didn't kick up a gear up the hill at all, leaving them in a trail of dust. Oh yes, I did, because I let ego get in the way ... however it was supposed to be fast lap and is was nice to get the motivation. The only problem was the lactic threshold which was exceeded and messed with the last 1k of the lap ... the lesson, just keep to the plan.

Then it was to the Castle to sort out the Gym for the grand opening. Jon Chapel (aka Chaps, aka bikemech) was hammering out the rower already at 8.30am. It was time to clean the dust off weights and equipment.

Any way to cut a long story short, the grand opening was more like a damp squib. The advertising was non-existent and even some of the managers didn't know it was opening. Nevermind, I'm sure people will realise it's there in time. I got a few people intersted in New Heights Fitness, so thats good.

Thanks to the models Susie and Chaps!!!




3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised there wasn't more people for the opening. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, I'm sure it'll pick up. I'm psyched to get a programme sorted for in there. My arms are killing me after doing some dips on the bars! (Oh, any chance of anchoring that thing down? It wobbles around a bit!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect it maybe that so many folks thought it would be rammed that they would not head over there? I am really excited about it but think I will need to deploy 'flexi-time' or something to use it without some waddermeisters pulling weights heavier than my sizable arse! Still, best development in the Castle for some good time so nice one for making it happen.

    On an actual training note, do you have any specific thoughts/ ideas to support training which build upon this blog post about body tension by Mr Mcleod? Ideas how you would actually train this on the Castle walls would be awesome.

    Cheers!

    http://onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-body-tension-means.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apology for not showing up to do the Pole dance, though I'm actually glad, as it would likely scare the people off completely (from the Castle, not only from the gym) ;)

    I second Ben's. I want to get a programme too. I'll get in touch with you as soon as I sort out the anger about the my flexor unit sprain. Meanwhile, I'll stick to running for a week or two to drop some weight and make my forearms happy about not carrying too much across the walls :)

    I've had to bury my excitement about the Wave too. I love that cave.

    Seconding Matt's too, the recent development is great.

    ReplyDelete