Tuesday 24 January 2012

I learned from my mistake :)

 


I managed to reign in the ego this morning, and I almost had a Zen run. 
The start wasn't too promising when I got out of the house, waited for the GPS to find its satellites, set off and it started to rain 50 metres in. But a-ha, time to get the new Ronhill jacket again. So after a false start, I set out again, protected against the elements. Today was to be a steady 4.40/k pace. A bit of Continuous Aerobic Training rather than intervals or fartlek, and it started well, and was going well, until ... nearing the end of the 2nd lap of Clissold Park, on the straight off road type trail, I felt a presence just behind, sitting on my shoulder, like a cartoon devil. The footfalls, the breathing ... an urge to speed up. But no, I remembered, I am a Tao Runner, I run because it is who I am, for the feeling, the air, the wind. I may have even slowed a little to reinforce the fact that it didn't matter if this person passed me... which she did and accelerated away along the straight. Ha, passed by a girl, I hear you sneer. But this is not the end of the tail. As she hit the slight incline of the side of the park parallel to Green Lanes, she began to falter. The 20m gap began to dwindle, she was fading and slowing down, my pace remained constant. I was on her shoulder, she glanced back and tried a turn of speed. I kept constant. She pulled away 5m and glanced back again. I was constant. She faded. I passed her. She stopped. I kept going and finished my run. An average 4.39/k, 1 second too quick. Damn.

Maybe, I should have pointed her in the direction of yesterdays blog.

(ps I was not stalking her before I get those comments (crimewatch- 'do you have any information on this man who terrorised this poor woman in the park, please come forward before he strikes again), but I did miss the 'maybe she was flirting' thought until later. She was quite cute too)

3 comments:

  1. Nice pace.

    You should have your business card ready, so next time you can pass a/that lady and drop the card on ground from pocket, and run fade away ;)

    By the way, do you consult on running technique & foot strike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can look at your posture when you are running and see how efficient you are etc ... i can do a bit on foot strike but the best is to get a scan. I think 'Sweat shop' in finchley has one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there is such thing as a scan. My main concern is to run properly to save my knees. So, I think I should get the scan. Hopefully it is cheaper than knee surgery :D Big thanks!

      Delete